Friday, March 29, 2019

Seniors in N. America

Seniors in N. America

Abida Rahmani

A Facebook friend of mine asked me a question about American seniors.Here is my reply it might interest my readers.
"Do you mean the real American seniors? You must see them if they are healthy then very much active, enjoying themselves and involved in community services. In hospitals you can see so many old seniors volunteering. Like a 92 years old lady was pushing wheel chair of a friend of mine who is on dialysis .I went through a procedure in hospital 2 weeks ago and the lady pushing my w.chair was of 83 years . I told her that you are 13 years older than me and I feel really bad."
Here the seniors mostly try to live together without a wedlock. As I talked to few i was told look my husband died and he is a divorcee and we just live together and take care of each other, you may call them common law partners. In general the seniors are quite independent and self sufficient as most of their children don't live with them.
For the handicapped , sick and terminally ill there are senior centres, hospice and rehabs. There is an abundance of older people in developed countries and they are living their lives.
On contrary the seniors of our community is facing different problems . Most of them live in families with their kids . If there is a couple , they can manage some how but for a lonely person it becomes difficult.
Another chapter could be posted on our seniors.
Good night for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment