Thursday, December 6, 2018

A note from my diary!

A note from my diary:
One of my life time experience!
When thrill and excitement turned into fear and anxiety!
By:
Abida Rahmani

It was a random Trip to north of Toronto planned by my son Nasir on 21st of November.The first snow storm of this season a day earlier welcomed him on his arrival to Toronto.. 
It was snowing when we had a stopover in "on-route Rest area at Barrie"for a cup of coffee and tea. Then  we decided to go to Blue Mountain. The scenic, enchanting area of Wasaga beach and  Collingwood was covered with a thick snowy drape all around. On one side the blue clear water of Georgian bay was flowing in serenity.We drove and then walked around in snow in the park on side of Georgian bay.As we drove out on opposite direction the board of  " scenic caves"attracted us. It was almost -8 to -10 c outside and the time was almost 3:00pm. Nasir decided to rent snowshoes to have a walk outside on the tracks in the snow. The girls helped me putting and tying on those racket type shoes with this information that if we withdrew with in ten minutes,we will be fully refunded. They warned us to come back at 5:00 pm as they were closing by 5.
As we embarked in the snow it seemed a lot of fun and excitement initially with no intention of backing out in ten minutes. 
The suspension bridge and adjoining area was just breathtaking. This 420 feet bridge is above 25 meters over the valley and looked sturdy with iron railings and fence. The walk was spectacular though a bit tough. 
Nasir's phone was out of battery and he used my phone for pictures . He then informed me that the phone suddenly stopped working. I desperately got involved in fixing it but in vain. In this pursuit, got worried without a phone and the same without pictures.( what a necessity for us the holders of a smartphone!)
After the bridge we started going up and down. As I stared at my watch it was almost 4 that I freaked out . It seemed that we have arrived quite far in the wilderness. The phones weren't working and we have to get back at 5 pm. Nasir was following the map and there were signs on trees,despite all that I started going through a lot of tension and anxiety. Getting breathless and exhausted I trembled and fell down in the heap of snow. Luckily the snow was quite soft and I wasn't hurt. Unable to standup myself ,it only became possible with my son's help. He almost pulled me out. Glory to Almighty. Anyway with all my vigor restarted to walk to reach back to destination , praying to Almighty for help. No one else except us could be seen in the area around. I was scared that the office is going to be closed and they will leave at 5:00pm. 
Dreadful with this thought of leaving behind and with walk in the snow, I started feeling quite hot in this extreme cold, I opened and loosen my jacket,removed the muffler. The cold blast was a bit soothing. . ...
Nasir assuring me that we were close by he even assured me that we would be there in 10-15 minutes. Hoping for the best , he exclaimed ,"here is the office." It was a sigh of relief and gratitude to my lord. I asked him to rush there as I was quite slow and breathless.
As he reached inside he asked them to help me. I was quite close then that a boy brought a snowmobile to pick me .However I decided to complete this adventure on my own.
In excitement and relaxation of being safe and sound didn't even notice the time of the arrival. The girl taking out my shoes informed me," we wouldn't leave until you have returned. We'd take our snow mobile and searched for you all around. There are still two persons outside for whom we'd search."At that l screamed why didn't you tell us all this earlier."
Alhamdolillah all is well that ends well!

No comments:

Post a Comment